Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Kat's Column Swirl Attempt #1

If you make cold process soap, you've probably already heard about the column swirl craze going on right now. Well, I am addicted to swirling and had to try it! I used activated charcoal for my black, yellow mica, hydrated green chrome oxide and Cellini blue (which should morph to a nice violet by tomorrow). My fragrance choice is a refreshing combination of lavender, lime and peppermint.


Notice my "column" is a rectangular box I found (thinking, heck, my mold is rectangular, this will work!). Next time I'll try something square to see the difference.


Is it just me, or is there a creature staring back at me in the pour below?


Pulling the colors through with a reed (and giggling with excitement).


I always tell my students in swirl classes to know when to stop manipulating the swirl or you get mud. I pretty much threw my own advice out the window at this point because I was so excited. I love the psychedelic spider web look and cannot wait to cuts bars tomorrow!! Keep an eye out for the finished product.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful colours, wonderful soap! Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Kat, just amazing. I love those colors. I can't wait to see it with the purple today. Praying for no soda ash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't wait to see what they look like. Thanks for sharing this Kat! - Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!! I had SO much fun with this project and can't wait to do another with different colors and a different column. The 18 bar birch wood mold worked great!

    ReplyDelete